Saturday 18 June 2016

Tips for moving abroad

     If you are thinking of moving abroad in the near future, then there is a lot of things to consider before making such a big change. I am only speaking due to my experience with moving overseas. 

   Savings:  Plan ahead and be sure to bring enough money to cover any unexpected occurrences. If you will be without work for a few months, save at least what you would earn in a few months time. Trust me, this will come in handy if you are unable to find work straight away. 

   Living arrangements:  This should be one of your first plans. If you will be studying, would you want to stay on campus or rent a room from a family? You will have to research rental options in the area that you will be staying in to get an idea of the cost per month. Also, consider whether or not you mind having room mates. I moved in with my husband and his mother who really likes her privacy, so make sure that you are able to get along with people easily.


   Transportation:  Thankfully these days you can ship your car overseas which is always an option but be prepared to make sure it's up to the countries road worthy requirements (say that ten times fast). It's good to prepare yourself by researching what transportation options the town or city has. Buses and trains are handy, but this may be an added monthly expense to get to your class or job that you weren't expecting. You can drive with an international license, but each country has different rules when it comes to driving so be sure to look into that as well.

   Bringing a pet:   Certain airlines will be able to fly your cat or dog in cargo. There is A LOT of paperwork involved if this is the route you want to take, so check with your veterinarian about certain documents that your animal will need. I was so surprised about how much paperwork was actually needed for my cat when bringing her in cargo. I did so much research but I'm telling you it's worth it.  I couldn't live with the idea of having to re-home her with someone and I'm thankful to have a little piece of home with me. 
My Chloe :)

   Work:  This should also be one of your first plans.  If you are relocating due to your job, then that's great! If you will be studying and taking endless amounts of classes, will you be able to fit in a full time job or would you prefer part time? Thankfully I was able to work part time while being a full time college student which is not easy at all! If you won't have a job lined up, then be prepared to get out that resume. Under certain types of visas, unfortunately you will not be allowed to work. It's very important to know what type of visa you will be required to have before making any long term plans. In my situation, I am unable to work at the moment so I am trying to find odd jobs around the town to keep myself busy (and sane!). If you can, consider doing some volunteer work in the community as well. 

   Culture:  I thought this would be helpful to include as well. Depending of what type of person you are, social butterfly or introvert, it's a good idea to know what the social scene is like in the city you'll be moving to. For instance, I came from a coastal town that was very busy with tourists and moved to pretty much the same area but in a different country. The social status of people is slightly different but it's good to know about your future surroundings. Will you be moving to Japan where you'll have to brush up on your Japanese? If you are used to the city life then will you enjoy living in the countryside of Ireland? Of course it's always easier to make friends once you have settled into your environment and start working or going to university. 
   


   These are just a few tips I wanted to share with you and are very handy to know about. Make sure that you do your research on absolutely everything so nothing may come as a surprise. Bon voyage and good luck!


0 comments:

Post a Comment